Re: How does the new canvas element relate to SVG?

From: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 09:12:21 +0900
Cc: www-html@w3.org
To: Wayne Pollock <pollock@acm.org>

Hi Wayne,

Le 16 mai 2008 à 06:21, Wayne Pollock a écrit :
> It seems to me unwise to have two independent vector
> drawing systems required by the HTML5 standard.

As of today, Canvas, a bitmap API, is described in HTML 5 specification.
http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/#the-canvas

SVG a vector format is describe in its own specifications.
http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/

# Bitmap
Canvas is an "immediate mode" API. Using a scripting language
(javascript) to draw pixels.

# Vector
SVG is a  "retained mode" API, an XML vocabulary

> Why isn't the new canvas element's drawing API defined
> as a subset of SVG?  Is the W3C dropping SVG?

It has been discussed a few times that Canvas could be a useful
addition to SVG for creating sprites (like in 3D games). That may
require to have an independent Canvas Specification, but nothing has
been decided for this.

--
Karl Dubost - W3C
http://www.w3.org/QA/