Re: MathML content in the wild

On 30 Mar 2008, at 6:15 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> Can anyone guide me to some repositories of Web pages that use MathML?

Courtesy answer:
Here's one: http://golem.ph.utexas.edu/string/

RTFM answer:
I learned this just now by going to
http://www.w3.org/Math/
You could too.

Actual answer:
I was very impressed with what you showed us at the
2006 Technical plenary in terms of statistics as
to what in HTML4 was actually used.

You're the one with the industrial-strength search
tools at the ready in-house.  I'm a little surprised
that _you_ are asking _us_ this question.  Maybe you
need a starter of examples of actual practice to grow
the search pattern from.

In the WAI-ARIA work we are considering *today* a
transitional markup that works with math posted as images
with the source TeX in the @alt attribute.

A link somewhere, such as on your blog, that would give us,
every time it is activated, a statistical summary and index
of math examples on the web, including at least in MathML
and this other design pattern,
in Google-index near-real-time -- would really move the Web ahead,
in terms of dealing with Math.  Maybe even with a Wiki-like
ability for the community to contribute to improving the search
pattern.  When I dream, that's the sort of thing I dream about.

Should we be developing a tagging campaign?  Is there a
tag for accessible math?  For inaccessible math?  in del.ici.ous?
in digg?  I'm totally ignorant in that regard.

Al