Re: Form control names: namespace without parent form

From: Brian Beck <exogen@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 12:06:04 -0400
To: "David Dorward" <david@dorward.me.uk>
Cc: www-html@w3.org

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 4:51 AM, David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk> wrote:

David,

Thanks for your response.

>  You can't have form controls outside a form which do anything useful
>  without a dependancy on JavaScript (which is generally a bad idea).

Well, some elements, e.g. <button type="button">, exist to be scripted
and aren't functional even within a form. :)

>  Having an element with a name that is the same as the id of another
>  element can cause problems in some browsers (Internet Explorer in
>  particular since it has a tendency of treating name in the same was
>  as id, to the extent of returning named elements with the
>  getElementById method).

Ah, that's what I was wondering.  I'll look into it -- know if this
happens for any element with a `name` attribute?  I thought it might
just happen for `form` elements.

--
Brian Beck / Adventurer of the First Order / www.brianbeck.com
Unstoppable Rocket, LLC / www.unstoppablerocket.com