Re: name="" deprecated in XHTML

From: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 08:59:35 +0100

Johannes Koch wrote:

> David Woolley schrieb:
>
>> (strictly speaking you could probably have both ID and NAME, with
>> different values)
>
> For a element, this is questionable.
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/links.html#adef-name-A>:

On reflection, you are right.  The intention of that part of the spec is
to allow a transition to purely using ID.  I included the parenthesized
bit as an afterthought to try and avoid someone picking that up as a
fine detail, even though it would clearly have been bad practice,
whatever the spec said (hence "in theory", to imply it was bad practice).

>> Note that this attribute shares the same name space as the id attribute
>
> I read this as: name and id attributes for the same a element must have
> the same values.

The important quote was actually:

the value of this attribute must be a unique anchor name.

which rules out the use of the same name value for multiple A elements.

--
David Woolley