Re: XHTML Basic 1.1 and setting input field to numeric mode

Luca Passani wrote:

> which should mean that this is the right list to ask this question:
> "why has the style attribute been marked as 'deprecated' in the XHTML
> basic 1.1 (not 1.0) proposed recommendation".
XHTML Basic 1.1 is a modular markup language defined in terms of XHTML
Modularization 1.0.  It is also tightly coupled to the definition of
XHTML 1.1.  The XHTML 2 Working Group has planned since sometime in 2000
to remove the style attribute from future XHTML family markup languages
because embedded stylings are counter to the accessibility principles
that we and the W3C try to adhere to.  There are many many arguments for
and against the use of embedded style attributes and other
presentation-related content in XHTML Family Languages.  However, the
decision to "deprecate" the style attribute was inherited from XHTML 1.1
and is not a decision XHTML Basic took independently.

As to where you should direct these comments, I am sure what Mike was
suggesting is that you can file a formal comment if you like.  Having a
discussion about it here is fine as well.  However, I cannot imagine
that this particular point is one you will find much support for in the
XHTML 2 Working Group - especially at this late date.