Re: name="" deprecated in XHTML

David Dorward schrieb:

> On 1 Jul 2008, at 14:20, Sebastian Mendel wrote:
>
>> yes, you can do all the things you could do with name also with class,
>> but you could also do all the things you can do with class with the id
>
> No, you can't. @id does not let you mark an element as being part of a
> group.

... in real world, all you can do with classes in (X)HTML could also be done
with the id, of course in a more complex way ... but this is not the point

>> but this is not the question, i think there are more
>> elements/attributes which could be removed and their targeted using
>> could be reached another way
>>
>> id = unique per document, one per element
>> class = non-unique, more per element
>
> Yes.
>
>> name = non-unique, one per element
>
> Depending on which element the attribute is applied to.

yes ... in RFC but not in real world

>> it is common to change classes of an element on the fly or dynamic
>
> So what?

e.g. changing the style dynamically of an element is done by changing the class

>> name shouldn't
>
> Why not?

Why?

>> classes are overlapping, names not
>
> I have no idea what you mean by that.

Elements with name "a" do not interfere with Elements named "b"

Elements in class "a" can interfere with Elements in class "b"

>> it makes things more clear
>
> How so?

from real world understanding of the two terms class and name

very hot here, i hope we share the same beautiful sunshine :-)
... i should go drinking a beer later ... cheers!

--
Sebastian Mendel