Re: XHTML Basic 1.1 and setting input field to numeric mode

From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 10:28:03 +0100
To: Luca Passani <passani@eunet.no>
CC: christoph.paeper@crissov.de, www-html@w3.org

Luca Passani wrote:

> Also, what I gathered from a previous message is that
> "inputmode='numeric'" will be
> supported by the XHTML 1.1 and XHTML BAsic 1.1 spec. Isn't this true
> anymore?

Not precisely. XHTML 1.1 Basic includes inputmode="latin digits"
(borrowed from XForms) as a "hint" to user agents about expected input:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-basic/#s_inputmode

Nor does it include type="number" (that's HTML5's Web Forms 2.0 draft)
or any CSS (that would be specified by another working group).

These all seem to be syntaxes that do roughly the same thing in practice.

Hope that clarifies things.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis