Re: Question about HTML abbr and acronym tags

On 8 Jan 2008, at 17:07, Barry Rader wrote:
> For someone who cannot see how would they distinguish when your
> abbr and acronym is not just a word.
>
> Say for example MIA we have an MIA named Mia and we are discussing
> her. you define the first occurrence as suggested MIA (Missing in
> Action) all after that you are no longer required to define this.
> So when talking about Mia or MIA what is the distinguishing factor
> for the screen reader.

The case of the second and final letters in the word (or
abbreviation). AFAIK, most screen readers already do this (as well as
using internal dictionaries to determine if it should be pronounced
'mia' or 'em eye aye').

> I use <abbr> and <acronym> tags especially for longer pages I like
> being able to mouse-over or tab-over and see what an acronym means
> while I am reading. These are very helpful.

Use Jukka's method and you can find out what it means without moving
the mouse or reaching for the tab key.

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk/