Re: Question about HTML abbr and acronym tags

From: Martin Kliehm <martin.kliehm@bluemars.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 15:13:39 +0100
To: www-html@w3.org

Peter Neumann wrote:
> For example, lets rewrite the following piece of text:
> ... unique IDs in a table...
>
> If you mark this up with
> ... unique <abbr title="Identities">IDs</abbr> in a table...
> it will be displayed by browsers as
> .. unique IDs in a table...
> and will be read out by screen-readers as
> .. unique Identities in a table...

Peter, I agree that "identities" (or "identifiers") would be more clear
as they are not only read by screenreaders, but also shown as a tooltip.
Let's not forget that accessibility isn't just for "those blind people,"
but for improving access for all. Therefore people with cognitive
challenges in particular, or simply non-native speakers or people who
are unfamiliar with an abbreviation in general profit from an explanation.

Getting rid of ABBR or ACRONYM altogether like Jukka proposes is like
the HTML 5 Working Group's argument to drop alternative text for images
for the reason that people are too stupid to use them properly. OK, so
we need a clear definition and better outreach and education.

People actually benefit from those elements and attributes. Even if they
only represent a small fraction of the users, and even if only a
fraction of developers and manufacturers do it right, for them it is not
a matter of a fraction, but a binary decision: 100% access, or access
denied.

Cheers,
   Martin

http://learningtheworld.eu