Re: Replaceable element for parameterising pages (was: Proposal for small enhancement)

Sorin Schwimmer wrote:

> 1.   is replacing one character; I'm talking about more then

  is a degenerate case of the entity mechanism, the actual SGML and
XML entity mechanisms allow arbitrary numbers of characters to be replaced.

> one, including html code that need to be inserted before it is
> interpreted by the browser

I'm not sure about whether markup is allowed in entities.  One problem
with markup is that you cannot validate the file without expanding the
entities.

Note that quite a lot of the XML specification is about the problem of
external entities that cannot be processed because the viewer is a
non-validating one.

> 2. I'm not sure what you mean by "redirection" - is it loading

I hope I wrote indirection.  I.E., inline you have &entity; and in the
internal subset of the DTD you define entity to refer to an external file.

> another page instead of this one? If so, it does not serve my
> purpose. I want to add some on-the-fly generated code (be it text
> content, HTML code, JS code, even SVG code if embedded in HTML), not

I think inlining JS is generally discouraged.

The only legitimate way of changing the DOM at run time is by explicitly
  manipulating it.

> to replace the whole page.

> 3. The id attribute has nothing to do with the usual semantic for an
> id attribute. Remember that the <r> element dissapears, by being

id is still a reserved attribute.

--
David Woolley