Re: Radio and checkbox texts

From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 13:39:52 +0100
To: "Anas R." <anas.linuxfuture@gmail.com>
CC: w3-html <www-html@w3.org>

Anas R. wrote:
> First of all, I'd like to emphasize that I'm suggesting a NEW syntax, regarding radio controls.

Because HTML is the foundation of web access, maintaining
interoperability is crucial.

New stuff should either:

1) Work in existing user agents now.

2) Allow publishers to provide end-users with new features, with a
fallback for older user agents.

It's not clear what problem you're trying to solve, but as far as I can
tell, your syntax won't work in existing user agents, doesn't have a
fallback, and doesn't add a user-facing feature to HTML. I can't see it
having much chance of adoption by HTML5 or XHTML1; you might have better
luck proposing it for XForms (with a view to including it in XHTML2 that
way) if:

http://xformsinstitute.com/essentials/browse/book.php#ch01-77054

doesn't meet your needs.

--