Representing Cancelations of Terms in Fractions

From: Eliot Kimber <ekimber@reallysi.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 12:33:16 -0500
To: www-html@w3.org

I'm working with education publishers on developing XML representations
of things like textbooks and test prep manuals. These publishers are
using primarily InDesign with InMath to author their equations. I can
capture the raw InDesign data and InMath is working on an XML
representation that captures the structure of the equations in a form
that is almost MathML presentation.

But, one sticking point is the representation of equations with canceled
terms, such as fractions where common terms are shown canceled with a
diagonal strike out.

My understanding from reading the MathML 2 spec is that this can be
represented using the menclose element with a notation of
"updiagonalstrike" or "downdiagonalstrike". However, it's not rendered
in Firefox and I can't MathType or Amaya to create anything other than a
long division type enclosure.

My questions are:

1. is my understanding of menclose and *diagonalstrike correct in that
this is the intended way to represent strikeouts in MathML?

2. Is there any MathML renderer that will render diagonal strikeouts today?

Thanks,

Eliot

--
Eliot Kimber