Re: several messages about <i> and many related subjects

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 04:11:44PM +0800, Ca Phun Ung wrote:

> Ian Hickson wrote:

>>> Not really. As there is no way to distinquish two people sharing the
>>> same name. Furthermore, it would only be useful for the few who "love
>>> semantics", since names are typically not rendered any different from
>>> other paragraph text.
>>>
> OK, then please explain why the XFN and Microformats movement hit center
> stage if there is no advantage in marking up people's names? It's not

  There /are/ advantages to marking up people's names - specifically in
  that it add structure, and semantics, to the document. The rendering
  can be adjusted to fit the reader, or listener, because of that.

  THAT is why we "love semantics". Which is a good thing. The rendering
  isn't important when it comes to structured markup.

> name, this has been the case for thousands of years, otherwise it is
> hard for the reader to distinguish meaning because a person's name is
> usually taken from common words, such as "dragon", "peace", "gold",
> "clever" etc.

  Excellent example.

--
 -  Tina Holmboe      Developer's Archive           Greytower Technologies
                   http://www.dev-archive.net      http://www.greytower.net