Re: several messages about <i> and many related subjects

From: Philip TAYLOR <Philip-and-LeKhanh@Royal-Tunbridge-Wells.Org>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 07:55:15 +0100
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: WHAT working group <whatwg@whatwg.org>, 'HTML WG Public List' <public-html@w3.org>, www-html@w3.org

Ian Hickson wrote:

> Mikko Rantalainen wrote:

>> I still think that <b> isn't correct element to use in this case.
>> Newspapers use bold just because it's *the* method to emphasize text in
>> that world. A web browser can do more.
>
> Sure, <b> doesn't have to be bold. It could be styled as small-caps.

Sure, sure : and <i> doesn't have to be italics,
<>H1> doesn't have to be an A-head, and <p>
denotes a paragraph only when it doesn't
denote something else.  Humpty Dumpty [1] would
have loved your vision of HTML 5, Ian.

Philip TAYLOR
--------
[1] `When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said,
      in rather a scornful tone, `it means
      just what I choose it to mean -- neither
      more nor less.'  /Through the Looking Glass/
      Lewis Carroll,