Re: proposed li:marker pseudo-class

From: Tina Holmboe <tina@greytower.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 15:01:55 +0200
To: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>
Cc: www-html@w3.org

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 01:46:51PM +0100, David Woolley wrote:

> Tina Holmboe wrote:
>
>>   What I am saying is that there exist no other mechanism in HTML, or
>>   for that matter in XHTML, for /explicitly/ stating that order is
>>   significant except OL*.
>>

> I think that is because the current HTML specification still has
> elements of the old school style of internet specification, in which it
> isn't necessary to specify everything with SHALLs and MUST NOTs.  I

  I would agree, if it wasn't for the fact that such a philosophy would
  not require an UL *and* an OL, since it'd be common sense* to render
  list items in the order they were specified.

  * Common sense, as has been shown time and time again, is not a good
    substitute for exactitude.

--
 -  Tina Holmboe      Developer's Archive           Greytower Technologies
                   http://www.dev-archive.net      http://www.greytower.net