Re: Proposed Feature for Future Work: <toc> Element

From: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 22:09:47 +0100
To: www-html@w3.org

Doug Schepers wrote:

> I think a ToC (table of contents) element would be a very nice feature.
>  ToCs are very common in a wide variety of documents, notably Wikipedia
> and technical documentation.

I would suggest that an auto-generated ToC should be considered a style
sheet issue.  In fact, good user agents will already generate a table of
contents off good structural markup.  Magic elements that just indicate
some feature is required went out with ISINDEX.

A manual ToC indicates a failure to markup the document properly.  One
could, however, argue that there is a need for additional attributes on
Hn elements, to give better control of how they are included in a table
of contents, and possibly a link type for table of content references
that are to other pages.

--
David Woolley