Re: Suggestion: 'rel="unrelated"' (was: Re: rel="nofollow" attribute)

From: zoran knezevic <zoransa@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 23:49:00 +0100
To: "SEO Image - Alan" <seo@seoimage.com>
Cc: www-html@w3.org

Hi Alan,

rel="nofollow" is not part of standard but as you know some search
engines use it, and recently major search engine "mandatory requires"
from everybody to "disclose" all paid links with rel="nofollow".
Google claims that link is dropped completely from link graph and do
not influence to search engine ranking algorithm. Yahoo partially use
links like those for discovering new pages and Ask never used that
convention/initiative at all.

I agree if something becomes common practice that should be standardized.

> Not to mention that blocking links by nature is becoming common practice on
> many social sites and blogs. Its now as common to see a nofollow or blocked
> link as it is to see a traditional href tag, so all we are doing here is
> admitting that by nature, we are now "afraid to link" to anyone because some
> search engines may "Show No Mercy" and penalize or ban us from visibility.

Best,
---

Zoran,
http://www.fragrantica.com/