Re: "Pave The Cowpaths" Design Principle

On May 17, 2007, at 4:00 AM, Gervase Markham wrote:

> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> It's true that many of the complex microformats have a root class
>> name, and multiple included structural elements identified by
>> class="" or rel="" values. However, there are many trivial
>> microformats based solely on a single rel value, such as
>> rel="nofollow". (The rel-nofollow microformat is adopted directly
>> into HTML5, I believe without controversy - people don't seem to
>> worry about rel as much as class.)
>
> I think the difference is that rel already has predefined names;
> the point of class was that it didn't (and so authors could use any
> name without fear of unwanted side-effects).

Is that really the key difference? rel also left remaining names free
for author use. Is moving from 0 to 1 predefined names really a much
bigger deal than moving from N to N+1?

> Also, "rel=nofollow" almost seems too simple to be a microformat.
> Is "autocomplete=off" a microformat too? We seem to be stretching
> the definition of "microformat" quite a long way, such that it is
> losing meaning.

The original topic was semantic use of class names. For that, my most
relevant example was class="geo" which you snipped. I don't think
that anyone would dispute that it is a semantic use of a class name,
and a microformat based on just a single class name.

Debating what is and is not a microformat is not very germane to the
discussion.

Regards,
Maciej