Re: code, samp, kbd, var

On Wed, 16 May 2007, Tina Holmboe wrote:

> During the debate regarding HTML 5 it has, by several people, been
> claimed, repeatedly, that presentational elements - all of them - will
> be added to the new language as time go by.

They won't be added to the language. They'll be added to the UA rendering
requirements section of the specification. Elements like <blink> will
remain non-conforming, despite being specified in detail for UAs.

> > presentational. They stand for mood changes and other text that is neither
>
> Not the choice I'd have made; nor the choice I wish the WG would make.

Indeed. It wasn't my first choice either (at one point I had dropped <i>
now handles). However, we have to be pragmatic, and after several years of
careful thought and design and research, we reached what the spec says
now, which I think is a good compromise.

> The problem is, of course, that all three have established use - I
> quoted one example of why <b> cannot be unambigously interpreted as
> anything but presentational - that is not compatible with the 'new'
> interpretation.

I do not believe it actually causes any practical problems, though there
might be some theoretical ones.