Re: code, samp, kbd, var

From: Tina Holmboe <tina@greytower.net>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 17:55:55 +0200
To: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Cc: www-html@w3.org

On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 03:33:14PM +1000, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> >Or have someone officially redefined HTML as a presentational language
> >while I was looking the other way?
>
> No, but we have to strike an appropriate balance between a strict
> separation of presentation and semantics, and having a set of useful and
> practical elements.

  So HTML 5 should, as opposed to HTML 4, become a *mix* of a presentational
  and structural language?

  Frankly, I wish you'd try to see the other side of this debate, Lachlan. I
  have, since 1995, taught people that HTML is a *structural* language and
  we are gaining ground. Slowly, perhaps, but we are getting there, and as
  others have pointed out: it is /improving/* accessibility.

  HTML 5 is going to turn that upside down - and, yes, I do admit that I
  am slightly bitter that twelve years of trying to impart something of
  structure, semantics, and accessibility is going to be tossed down the
  drain for the sake of, frankly, misguided 'pragmatism'.

  *
   Sorry. You'll all just have to learn to live with all the presentational
   markup in my e-mails. Alternatively you could have the courtesy of not
   putting IRC logs online when spending time dissing opponents.

--
 -  Tina Holmboe      Developer's Archive           Greytower Technologies
                   http://www.dev-archive.net      http://www.greytower.net