Re: code, samp, kbd, var

From: Tina Holmboe <tina@greytower.net>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 17:55:55 +0200
To: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Cc: www-html@w3.org

On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 03:33:14PM +1000, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> >Or have someone officially redefined HTML as a presentational language
> >while I was looking the other way?
> No, but we have to strike an appropriate balance between a strict
> separation of presentation and semantics, and having a set of useful and
> practical elements.

  So HTML 5 should, as opposed to HTML 4, become a *mix* of a presentational
  and structural language?

  Frankly, I wish you'd try to see the other side of this debate, Lachlan. I
  have, since 1995, taught people that HTML is a *structural* language and
  we are gaining ground. Slowly, perhaps, but we are getting there, and as
  others have pointed out: it is /improving/* accessibility.

  HTML 5 is going to turn that upside down - and, yes, I do admit that I
  am slightly bitter that twelve years of trying to impart something of
  structure, semantics, and accessibility is going to be tossed down the
  drain for the sake of, frankly, misguided 'pragmatism'.

   Sorry. You'll all just have to learn to live with all the presentational
   markup in my e-mails. Alternatively you could have the courtesy of not
   putting IRC logs online when spending time dissing opponents.

 -  Tina Holmboe      Developer's Archive           Greytower Technologies
                   http://www.dev-archive.net      http://www.greytower.net