Re: Complex Table Examples

On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 11:22:37AM -0700, L. David Baron wrote:

> Implementations are still going to need to implement these features.

  Here's the trick. Implementations are still going to need to implement
  these features - just as they already do.

  That, in turn, mean that what we can do with HTML 5 is to clean it
  up, remove deprecated elements, deprecated presentational elements
  (or better yet, remove them), and add new, /structurally/ and
  /semantically/ sensible elements.

  Don't worry. It is highly unlikely that browser vendors will start
  taking out support for all the things they implement today, so both
  FONT and MARQUEE will be entirely safe.

  But really and honestly - just because browsers have to implement
  the things authors use on the web right now, does not mean we have
  to drag the same things with us and teach it to the next generation
  developers.

> Forcing implementors to read every version of the spec in order to
> implement HTML (especially when some of the old versions don't
> actually bother saying how to implement it) will reduce quality and
> interoperability of implementations (and not just for the features

  It's something they already did. No-one has ever suggested that
  the browser vendors should skip back in time to 1990 and start
  all anew, implementing everything and the kitchen sink from
  scratch.

  Support for FONT exist in most graphical UAs today. It would
  be a surprise - and quite illogical - if, should FONT be removed
  from HTML 5, the same UAs would remove support for it.

  There is no reason to include the mistakes of old in the
  specification for the new, even if the browser vendors, much due
  to their own ancestors, are forced to *keep* the support for
  the same mistakes.

  It's really two entirely different topics.

--
 - Tina.