Re: "Pave The Cowpaths" Design Principle

On May 12, 2007, at 02:34, John Foliot wrote:

> Semantics are critical to web accessibility, and promoting a vision
> that
> advocates, "We are against semantics for the sake of
> semantics." [Lachlan
> Hunt: http://tinyurl.com/ys7lbo] clearly illustrates how deep this
> divide
> is.

It really doesn't help to say that "semantics are critical to Web
accessibility". Instead, what would help is figuring out on a per-
markup feature basis if a given semantic feature serves a realistic
(existing or *realistically* anticipated) use case in AT
implementations. Moreover, when weighing explicit semantics vs.
heuristics in AT, one should assess the realistic net effects
considering the incentives to authors.

For example, it is more reasonable to require AT to walk the table
model up and to the left to find the header cell for a given data
cell by *default* than to expect authors to use id/headers in the
simple cases. There are few AT vendors and they have the capability
to hire developers who can write code that walks the table model
instead of merely calling getElementById(). OTOH, it is much harder
to badger countless authors to produce certain kind of attributes and
do it correctly. Therefore, making the simple cases Just Work with
less author involvement is more likely to lead to a net improvement
of accessibility than insisting on educating authors about more
complex markup features.

Frankly, I think that an axiomatic "semantics are critical to Web
accessibility" line risks causing specific pragmatic accessibility
concerns to be taken less seriously (compare with crying wolf).

P.S. Yeah, the above may require changes to AT, but I find it weird
that some accessibility advocates (perhaps not you) seem to have an
implied premise that AT cannot improve in response to HTML 5 but e.g.
authoring tools can.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi