Re: Predefined Class Names Solution

Philip & Le Khanh wrote:

> James Graham wrote:
>
>> That rather misses the point of "pave the cowpaths" though -- the idea
>> is to preferentially spec things that have become common practice over
>> things which have not.
>
> Yes, I do understand that; my problem is that whilst it is easy
> to demonstrate that there are $>n$ documents in the wild that
> use 'class="copyright"', it is infinitely harder to demonstrate
> the intention of the authors in using that construct beyond
> the two usages I gave previously (CSS & DOM).

The intent of the author is (IMHO) not terribly relevant. What matters
is whether their *actual* usage matches the proposed spec. If a survey
shows that a fraction f of uses of class="copyright" do match the spec
and f is >~ the fraction of authors who use elements such as <address>
in line with the HTML4 spec then I don't see how speccing
class="copyright" is a major problem from the point of view of "semantic
compatibility".

--
"Instructions to follow very carefully.
Go to Tesco's.  Go to the coffee aisle.  Look at the instant coffee.