Re: Cleaning House

Bold and italic are typographical traditions that are used for many
different purposes. They could be used to *highlight* certain phrases,
including sub-headings, foreign words, etc. as well as for emphasis. The
term *emphasis* is more generic, and can also apply to speech -- there
is no *italic* in speech!
The terms are not as important as the concepts.
HTML may have (deprecated) elements such as *b* and *i* as well as *em*,
but the first two are typographical, which should be handled with a
style sheet. Whether *em* should map to either *b* or *i* is merely
another convention. If yes, it is also typographical, and should be
handled by a stylesheet. If *em* should include the vocal emphasis for
speech synthesisers, it is still a matter for a style sheet.
This debate has been side-tracked -- it started off with the question of
whether these features should be handled by an HTML element, or by a
style sheet.

--
Dr Jacques Steyn

+27-11-950-4132 Phone
+27-11-950-4133 Fax
+27-83-296-9122 Mobile

http://sit.monash.ac.za
jacques.steyn@infotech.monash.edu

IDIA: International Development Informatics Association
http://www.developmentinformatics.org/