Re: Cleaning House

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 00:30:34 +0100
To: www-html@w3.org
CC: public-html@w3.org

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> You claimed that Web Apps 1.0 would somehow encourage more author use of
> <b> to mark up headers. I assumed no one would make this claim if they
> were aware of <h*>, <header>, the sectioning algorithm, and the fact
> that it does not condone use of <b> for headers in any way. Here's a
> direct quote: "The b element should be used as a last resort when no
> other element is more appropriate. In particular, headers should use the
> h1 to h6 elements..." It also does not make <b> equivalent to <strong>.

Turning this around, then: what situations do we have where people would
use <b> as a last resort? Apart from authoring tools that only offer a B
button? And not talking about legacy content (which would have to be
revised, even in light of the current spec).

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com
http://webstandards.org/
http://streetteam.webstandards.org/