Re: Cleaning House

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 22:34:41 +0200
Cc: Philip & Le Khanh <Philip-and-LeKhanh@Royal-Tunbridge-Wells.Org>, public-html@w3.org
To: W3C HTML <www-html@w3.org>

Philip & Le Khanh:
> "Descriptivism" is more common on English-speaking countries than
> in some others -- "L'Académie Française" is unashamably
> prescriptive (and proscriptive), as is (I believe) its German
> counterpart.

Jftr., there is no direct German counterpart to the Académie
Française. There has been vivid discussion for the past ten years
about who is in charge of orthographic rules, though.

Note that there are different kinds of rules: ones noöne can change,
ones someone may change, ones anyone can change for oneself, and ones
everyone is changing all the time little by little. (That is just one
way to categorize them, though.) Spoken language falls mostly in the
domain of the latter two. So does written language, but it is often
governed to some degree (second type). Computer languages otoh. are
prescribed for the most part.