Re: Cleaning House

Tina Holmboe wrote:
> On Sun, May 06, 2007 at 04:21:24AM -0700, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>
>> So there you go. I think bridging the descriptivist/prescriptivist
>> philosophical chasm is probably beyond the scope of this mailing list
>
>   If, by "descriptivist philosophy" applied to web standards, you
>   mean "create a new standard by documenting what people do" - then yes,
>   I think it impossible to bridge.
>
>   But I'd love to see anyone write a serious dictionary by simply
>   and mechanically taking down whatever people say and then suggest
>   everyone else should use it to learn to communicate ...

"The aim of the OED is to provide a record of how the English language
is and has been used in writing and in speech. Whether a word is new or
long obsolete, its meaning can only be determined by looking at examples
of it in use.

The first step in creating or revising an entry is therefore to collect
evidence of words and phrases in use from all over the English-speaking
world." [1]

[1] http://oed.com/about/writing/

--
"Instructions to follow very carefully.
Go to Tesco's.  Go to the coffee aisle.  Look at the instant coffee.