Re: Cleaning House

On May 6, 2007, at 3:04 AM, Tina Holmboe wrote:

> On Sat, May 05, 2007 at 08:41:23PM -0400, Murray Maloney wrote:
>

>> elements. But consider <i class="ship">.
>
>   Meaning nothing. Do you mean a ship name? Or is it an abbreviate
>   name for a shipping label? Or perhaps even a status saying whether
>   something is about to ship?

What is the correct way, according to you, to mark up a ship name?
Instead of <i class="ship">HMS Pinafore</i>. I'm assuming <span
class="ship">HMS Pinafore</span> is no better, since <span> is
semantically null. <em>HMS Pinafore</em> is clearly wrong, since
setting ship names in italics has nothing to do with emphasis. Using
no markup at all is wrong, since then there is no way to achieve the
italic visual presentation.

Regards,
Maciej