Re: Cleaning House

Christoph Päper wrote:

> Acceptable (perhaps):
> : <h2>Foo bar <i>baz</i> quuz!</h2>
>
> Inacceptable:
> : <h2><i>Foo bar baz quuz!</i></h2>

Christoph, please don't be upset by the following : your comment above
just shows a total lack of consideration for wysiwyg editors...

What you consider inacceptable above is the only way to preserve italic
text in an h2 with a cursor position generating normal text.

Please consider the following two steps :

1. the user creates a new h2, clicks on the I button, enters some text,
    clicks again on the I button, enters mors text. Expected result:

    <h2><i>bar</i>foo</h2>

2. then the user places the caret after "foo" and hits three times
    backspace. In my mind the result is:

   <h2><i>bar</i></h2>

   AND the caret is placed just after the I element inside the H2.
        </i>|</h2>
   One more hit on the backspace key, and the caret is inside the I
   just before its end  |</i></h2> or it deletes the last char inside
   the I and places the caret before that position. It's a rather
   religious choice, depending on how much you want your editor to
   behave like a text processor.

   In your mind, it's probably something like

   <h2 style="font-style: italic">bar</h2>

   there is no ambiguity on the caret's position, and there's no
   possibility to enter normal text directly.

acceptable but MUST be accepted if you want to have wysiwyg editors.
This is a mandatory compromise if you want to have editing tools
average people are able to use. Otherwise, you'll have code purity
and a software behaviour people don't understand.

</Daniel>