Re: Semantics - Mystery of the Menu tag

Micah Miller wrote:

> I haven't been following the conversation too closely, but there was
> some mention of Semantic HTML along with HTML5.  Regarding semantics,
> what ever happened to the menu tag?  Why has it been deprecated?  Do web
> sites NOT have menu navigation?  How is it that ul/li is more semantic
> then say menu/li ???

I think the problem with the menu *element* was that no browsers
rendered it differently from UL, even though the original
specification hinted that it should be rendered compatibly with the
user of very short items (as such it is semi-presentational.  Although a
lot of pages used menus like:

[ item | item | item ]

the lack of a rendering somewhat like this mean that they did it by
ad hoc means instead and menu was almost entirely unused in the wild.