Re: Cleaning House

From: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 21:46:31 +0100
To: www-html@w3.org

Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> David Woolley wrote:
>> [...] HTML4 requires that the document be valid with or without the
>> document.writes executed, but I think the HTML5 rules allow the script
>> to generate unbalanced tags.
>
> No it doesn't.  Why would you assume such a thing?

It's not clear what you meant by "it" here.  On first reading, I matched
it with the HTML 4 specification.  In case that is what you did mean:

<http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/scripts.html#h-18.2.4>

   HTML documents are constrained to conform to the HTML DTD both
   before and after processing any SCRIPT elements.

I can't, at the moment, find an equivalent restriction in HTML 5.