Re: Cleaning House

From: Philip Taylor (Webmaster) <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 18:46:45 +0100
To: www-html@w3.org, public-html@w3.org

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

 > [snip]

 > If you assign special meanings to class names, you change the meaning of
 > existing pages, and if these meanings have any effect on rendering, you
 > are also messing up with authors' intentions on presentation.

 > [long snip]

Hear hear.  The pre-emptive strike on half a dozen
"obvious" class names seemed to me a major error.

If a r\^ole (and I used the word advisedly) can
reasonably be ascribed to more than one element,
and if there are a small number of clearly-
identifiable and recurring r\^oles, then I would
far sooner that HTML 5 added a "role" attribute,
and proposed a central registry for registering
r\^ole names, rather than usurping the use of
"class".

Philip Taylor