Re: Cleaning House

The following aspects need to be kept separate in this debate:
* The authoring user interface
* The coding agent - which translates user choices into HTML code, and
for HTML 5 should implement only proper code
* The rendering agent (browser) which renders the code both with regards
to the semantic content, and the style preferances of the user. This
agent should render HTML 5 properly, but should also render old
deprecated stuff properly for the sake of backward compatibility

What a user sees and what happens in the engine room does not need to
map identically.
If a user sees a *b* or *i* button on the interface, that does not mean
the authoring tool should write a tag in the code that says *i*. If
logic and presentation should be kept separate (which I strongly
support), the coding agent could even write
Programmatically this string of code and *i* would be handled exactly
the same.

On *i* and *em*: some have stated that *em* is semantic. That is
debatable. With reference to speech such emphasis would be a prosodic
feature, which should be marked with aural descriptors. With reference
to visual text, prosodic emphasis does not necessarily need to be
displayed. Displayed italic font is often used for technical terms, or
foreign languages, but that does not mean such text is emphasised.

--
Dr Jacques Steyn

+27-11-950-4132 Phone
+27-11-950-4133 Fax
+27-83-296-9122 Mobile

http://sit.monash.ac.za
jacques.steyn@infotech.monash.edu

IDIA: International Development Informatics Association
http://www.developmentinformatics.org/