Re: Cleaning House

Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> Some people are
> suggesting that it should fall on the pure-semantic end of things
> (without really explaining how this is supposed to work given a very
> limited vocabulary and the desire to express a wide variety of complex
> concepts).

By expanding the limited vocabulary. It worked for new additions like
<audio>, <video>, <eventsource>, <datagrid> etc because it makes making
Web Applications easier, so why can't there be slightly more granular
markup for other elements which are a bit more of a catch-all at this stage?

> Note that internationalization, accessibility and useability are not
> necessarily incompatible with presentational markup, within reason.

 From an accessibility point of view, presentational markup can be
treated in roughly two ways:

- ignore it, as it's just presentational and doesn't actually convey
meaning/content; obviously, this presupposes that its use was indeed
purely whimsical, rather than down to the author's lack of knowledge of
why/when to choose structural/semantic markup (marking up a paragraph as
big and bold - via <font> and <b> - instead of using h1-h6 elements), or
the spec's lack of more suitable alternatives

- divine meaning out of it, based on known cases of misuse or some other
heuristics (for instance, a screen reader could potentially make a best
guess and assume that if it comes across a lone paragraph with its
content wrapped in <font> and <b> that it's possibly a heading in
disguise); this can be error prone, and shifts the onus completely on
the user agent / assistive technology.

> and <b>.  I don't agree with that point.

Me neither.

> Further, <strong> is about that non-semantic as well (what
> does it _mean_ exactly?).  Same for <em>.

I dislike the practically non-existent distinction between <em> and
<strong>...always makes for puzzled faces when I explain structural
markup fundamentals to our content authors. I'd therefore welcome a
disambiguation, which probably would mean a single element to cover both
cases.

> A real semantic emphasis tag, imo, would indicate not only that there is
> emphasis, but _why_, because depending on the situation different
> reasons for emphasis should be treated differently.  Of course you'd
> need different markup for each reason for emphasis.

I still believe that being able to abstractly say "this is more
important than the surrounding context" is a step forward from "this
should be visually presented in bold". I agree that it gets unwieldy
very quickly if we want to define distinct elements for every different
shade of why something is important.

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com
http://webstandards.org/