Re: Cleaning House

either you are for seperation of structure from presentation, or
you are not
unquote

Boris Zbarsky replied, quote:
Yes, yes.  Either I'm with you or I'm against you.  I've heard that a
lot in recent years; never though it'd come up in a reasonable
discussion about the future of web standards.
unquote

it has NOTHING to do with you or me or any one individual; it is a
simple statement of fact and a basic premise of interoperability,
internationalization, accessibility and useability.  why is it not
quote reasonable unquote?

Boris also wrote, quote:
Because XSLT can't operate on things that are not well-formed XML?
That would be most of the web, last I checked.
unquote

since when is pandering to poor authoring practices part of our
mandate?  we are supposed to be defining a canonical structural
language, not giving authors and developers of authoring tools
shortcuts and workarounds that mix presentation and structured
content...

Boris also wrote, quote:
Quite frankly, I'm rather uninterested in the document conformance
end of things for the time being.  I'm keenly interested in the
user-agent conformance end of things.
unquote

that is your perogative; i personally am concerned with both document
and user agent conformance so that there is a baseline from which
authors can construct web documents, authoring tools can implement
the production of structured content (refer to the Authoring Tool
Accessibility Guidelines, which, as a W3C Technical Recommendation,
are a normative reference for HTML5:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-ATAG10-20000203/)

Boris further wrote, quote:
There's nothing more "semantic" about superscripts/subscripts than
there is about italics.  For example, H<sup>1</sup> could have any
of the following meanings off the top of my head just in
mathematics:

1)  A number (or matrix, or whatever) H raised to the power one.
2)  First cohomology (group, vector space, etc).
3)  First component of a vector in differential geometry.
4)  A set of first-order expansions of elements of a set H (e.g.
power series).
5)  First graded component of the graded object H.
unquote

your objection proves my point (as well as the larger point that
most of the use cases you have outlined would be better served as
MathML) -- there are at least 5 valid reasons why one would use
superscript, and a host of others for using subscripts to indicate,
for example, the atoms that comprise a molocule:

what, i ask you, does the use of italics mean semantically?  as i
stated in another post, STRONG does not equate to B, nor EM to I;
these are all presentational questions, which properly belong in
the realm of styling, not structure.

gregory.
  BIGOT, n.  One who is obstinately and zealously attached to an
  opinion that you do not entertain.               -- Ambrose Bierce
                Gregory J. Rosmaita <oedipus@hicom.net>
  Camera Obscura:           http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/index.html