Re: Cleaning House

From: Philip Taylor (Webmaster) <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 12:05:59 +0100
To: www-html@w3.org, public-html@w3.org

Elliott Sprehn wrote:

> Is there a problem with accepting the WHATWG HTML5 specification as a
> starting point? A lot of this work was already done.

I believe that there /is/ a problem, and the problem lies
in your last line.  A lot of the work /had already/ been
done in HTML 4.01 Strict; the WHATWG HTML5 specification
appears to ignore much of that, and to base its design
on less rigorous specifications (HTML 4.01 Transitional,
possibly even HTML 3.2 : I haven't yet had time to
check the provenance of all legacy elements included).

Philip Taylor