Re: Cleaning House

On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 08:53:21AM +0200, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> However, breaking backwards compatibility is only possible when we
> introduce a new format as explained on this list before (and that's not
> the goal of the HTML WG). Hence, we have to make user agent requirements
> that require support for the features we rather see people not using.
> (Those features can still be non-conforming, obviously.)

No, we don't. HTML 5/4.02/4.1 does not need to include legacy and
proprietary features, a user agent can support both "new HTML" and
"Legacy/Proprietary code" without the latter being specified in the
former.

For user agents that want to implement legacy and proprietry features,
a seperate specification can be written.

This may or may not require switching of parse modes for the markup
based on some versioning information in HTML > 4.01.