Re: Cleaning House

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 22:34:13 +0100
To: www-html@w3.org, public-html@w3.org

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

>> 1.  How long do we need to continue to support deprecated tags?
>
> Probably forever. At least, I don't think the content using them will
> disappear entirely from the web any time soon, if ever.

But the content using them is written in older (<5) versions of HTML, so
why is that relevant (unless you want 100% backwards compatibility, in
which case you should also reintroduce things that have already been
dropped, like TT, BIG, STRIKE, S and U). Treat them as unrecognised
elements, rather than ratifying their use for yet another standards round...

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com
http://webstandards.org/
http://streetteam.webstandards.org/