Re: Interoperability/Compatibility Re: Semicolon after entities

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 17:25:37 +0200
To: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
Cc: www-html@w3.org

* Karl Dubost wrote:
>Le 30 avr. 2007 ā 22:02, Lachlan Hunt a écrit :
>>> Second, what you really mean is working the same way as other
>>> browsers.
>>
>> Yes, that's what interoperability means.
>
>Just to fix a common error in the vocabulary.
>This is *not* what interoperability means.
>
>Interoperability means the capability of two independent
>implementations to work exactly the same.

>What is described: "working the same way as other browsers" is
>compatibility. It is completely different.

You might have meant to place a colon instead of a full stop somewhere
here. I do not see, for example, what the difference between "work ex-
actly the same" and "working the same" really is. At a high level, both
interoperability and compatibility describe whether things fit together.
They are typically meant to answer questions such as:

  * Can two systems cooperate
  * Can two systems coexist in harmony
  * Can two systems fuse together
  * Can one system be replaced by the other
  * Can one system support the other

People are typically not entirely agreed which and to which degree the
terms measure these. They are important and meaningful criteria however,
I would not say that about "work exactly the same" without considerable
qualification. In any case your definition does not account for "inter".
--
Björn Höhrmann ˇ mailto:bjoern@hoehrmann.de ˇ http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Weinh. Str. 22 ˇ Telefon: +49(0)621/4309674 ˇ http://www.bjoernsworld.de