Re: Control Text-file Embedding in HTML-docs

From: Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 17:57:07 +0200
To: "David Dorward" <david@dorward.me.uk>, www-html@w3.org

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 16:13:22 +0200, David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 04:05:57PM +0200, Steven Pemberton wrote:
>> I have to disagree. Server-side solutions are necessary because HTML
>> doesn't properly support transclusion (which is why page counts are so
>> often displayed as images for instance). He is right to suggest native
>> support for proper transclusion in HTML.
>
> Page counts are so often[1] displayed as images because people want them
> without wanting to invest in reasonable quality hosting or learning
> how to use an SSI, and so depend on a third party.

Well, people often don't have the choice. Of the dozen or more websites
where I have responsibility for material, I only have the choice with 2 of
them. I believe that server-side include is a band-aid of the lack of
proper transclusion facilities in HTML. The nice thing about having it
natively is that you don't get locked in to one particular server-side
solution.

Steven Pemberton