Re: abbr and acronym

From: Frank Hellenkamp <jonas.info@gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:03:22 +0200
To: "Kempen, E.J.F. van" <e.j.f.v.kempen@student.tue.nl>
CC: "Patrick H. Lauke" <redux@splintered.co.uk>, www-html@w3.org
>> For internationalisation purposes, I'd suggest that the value
>> of read (or any similar proposed pronounciation hints) should
>> be written in some phonetic form.
>
> So you mean something like this:
>
> The IPA prononciation rules could be applied here.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Phonetic_Alphabet

If something like this would be proposed, one should also be able to use
X-Sampa instead, to be able to use it in other encodings than UTF-8.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-SAMPA

because these are also about meaning, not only about spelling.

(e.g. HTML - Hypertext Markup Language vs. HTML - H.T.M.L.)

Something like the "read"-attribute could only extend this.

Frank Hellenkamp

--
frank hellenkamp | interface designer
jonas.info@gmx.net | mail