Re: abbr and acronym

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 08:18:22 +0100 (BST)
To: www-html@w3.org

> Is that a _definition_? A rose is a rose... We know that people have
> varying meanings for "acronym", and yet the specification does not say

We also know that most web designers don't understand HTML semantics at
all!  At least in British English usage the fuzziness of the meaning
of acronym seems, to me, to be the result of uneducated use by the
mass media.  A very similar problem arises with virus and bacterium;
according to the press, MRSA is often a virus!

The last time that I checked the full Oxford English Dictionary on this,
acronym had the narrow meaning.