Re: abbr and acronym

I work as information designer for publishers and I use both acronym
and abbreviations, because they have a different semantic value and I
need to assign different styles to them.
For example:
book "Diritto d'autore".</p>

Editorial rules can ask for acronyms ALLCAPS and abbreviations lower
case, so, with the solution above, I can set only one style for
acronym.

I can also choose to use only abbr and to assign a class="acronym" or
"acr" for each acronym, but the code will be longer, will be
discretionary and not a shared standard.

So I would like that both tags will remain in xhtml 2.0.

Thank you very much for your attention.

On 3/24/07, Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk> wrote:

> Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete DUTRA wrote:
> >       I use both the abbr and the acronym extensively.  What is the reasoning
> > for not retaining acronym in XHTML 2?
> >
> >       http://www.smackthemouse.com/20040108#h2-1 says 'I am not going to
> > repeat all the arguments why it is impossible to distinguish between
> > ABBR and ACRONYM in any sensible way that is workable for web page
> > authors. This discussion is now history.' without providing any
> > reference.
>
> All acronyms are just a subset of abbreviations, so there's no need for
> an extra element.

> --
> Patrick H. Lauke
> re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
> [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
> www.splintered.co.uk | www.photographia.co.uk
> http://redux.deviantart.com
> Co-lead, Web Standards Project (WaSP) Accessibility Task Force
> http://webstandards.org/
> Take it to the streets ... join the WaSP Street Team
> http://streetteam.webstandards.org/

Lorenzo De Tomasi
Designer della comunicazione
http://www.ipernico.it