Re: [html] Elements within "title"?

Harry Maugans wrote:

> Granted you could water it down,
> allowing <em> but not the H1/H2/H3 tags, but then that would, in my
> opinion,
> stray even farther from the best practices of a standard.

Heading tags could be allowed but it would be up to the browser to decide
how to render them, which the standard already allows. A heading tag should
be considered semantically meaningless for a title since knowing that the
text will be a title, a bookmark, or whatever, is more specific and useful
in deciding how to render it, and the UA would know what the text is used
for. If only part of the title is H1, then it may be acceptable to render it
in a
very slightly larger font, or emphasized in some way. If it worked like
that, then
instead of using all uppercase letters for the beginning of the title of
http://www.polisource.com, I'd use an appropriate tag. If browser
developers do it right and according to their own interests, they won't add
support for tags within titles without making them work properly.

> I think it was a valid suggestion and a good discussion, but I don't see
> any
> positive effects from an actual implementation of this.

Nicholas mentioned a positive effect in the message you responded to. He
said "Anything that deals with chemical formulae, mathematics, minor planet
designations, and a slew of other topics really need to use super and
subscript to avoid much lengthier circumlocutions." Also, see the bottom of
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_overvw.html about how
italics could be used.

For bookmarks, I might use styling as a code for certain kinds of bookmarks
that I don't want a separate folder for. For example, maybe I'd use a red
superscripted "1" to refer to another bookmark titled "1" that contains
notes on the referenced document(s). Maybe I'd make frequently used
bookmarks bold. A browser's support for a standard that allows tags in
titles would as a side effect make it easy to implement this type of end
user bookmark formatting.

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.