Re: Maxiumum Page Size Web Standards

From: Jens Meiert <jens.meiert@erde3.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 16:38:59 +0200
Cc: www-html@w3.org
To: "King,Tina A" <TKING4@travelers.com>

This list's not the optimal place for this issue, but:

> Currently we abide to the maximum page size web standard of 50kb. Is
> this recommendation still current or has the size increased with the
> widespread use of broadband today?

I don't recommend to focus on a certain file size, but rather to develop a philosophy that consequently sorts out unnecessary stuff - load time is an important UX factor [1]. Also, the "10 seconds rule" is a nice rule of thumb, but it may be absolutely legitimate when some documents take more time because they provide lots of useful information (that belongs together).

[1] http://meiert.com/en/blog/20070621/load-time-the-ux-factor-facts-and-measures/

--
Jens Meiert
http://meiert.com/en/