Re: XHTML and Latest Standards

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 15:40:58 +0000
To: www-html@w3.org

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 02:56:08PM +0000, Philip TAYLOR wrote:
> the last line of which suggests that they are, in fact, serving
> HTML.  The document itself (see below) claims to be XHTML 1.0,
> but reinforces the apparent wish to be parsed as HTML by replicating
> the "Content-type" in the META element at line 4.

Blame Appendix C, I gather it caused the Validator team no end of
bother trying to handle the switching between XML mode and SGML mode
in OpenSP.

I gather the authors of XHTML 1.0 didn't expect it to be around for
very long, but that was 7 years ago and we're still suffering from the
new form of tag soup its introduced :(