Re: Currency Element Suggestion

From: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 20:45:35 +0100
To: www-html@w3.org

> A suggestion for a element that designates a currency amount.
> I was imagining this INLINE element working something like this:

Amongst other things there will be legal issues.  You will find the
currency conversion sites generally have a disclaimer that they should
not be used for legal purposes.  Also, do you convert at the consumer
buy price, consumer sell price, a commercial price, etc.

There are also commercial issues: how do you provide revenue to the
conversion site if they cannot send adverts along with the rate?

> date="16/11/2004" origin="US" localize comma paren /> per share.</p>

There are already standard three character currency codes, e.g. USD,
GBP, CNY.  "US" is not one of them.  Dates should be in ISO format, i.e.

An element like this should never be empty; the content should be the
value in a format that will make sense to someone without the very
latest browser.

> required (determining if it is to be included in MM/DD/YYYY format or
> DD/MM/YYYY format).

Neither of these represent valid standards for W3C formats.  See above.

> COMMA: This determines if commas should be used in displaying the
> formatted version of the VALUE. If omitted, commas are NOT used.

Commas are used as the decimal separator in most of continental Europe!
> PAREN: For accountant format, if the PAREN attribute is present, a
> negative VALUE will be displayed with encapsulating parentheses. If
> omitted, a negative value will be displayed with a preceding hyphen.

Strictly speaking parentheses means unfavourable, rather than negative.
  There are several other conventions, e.g. suffix CR or DR.  If you are
going to specify a character for a minus sign, it should probably be U+2212.

David Woolley