Re: Semicolon after entities

From: Edward O'Connor <hober0@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 13:46:58 -0400
To: www-html@w3.org

Tina Holmboe wrote:

> In other words the WG is to study, and document, both good and bad
> practices of browsers and authors today, and tailor the specification
> to allow them?
> It is difficult to conclude otherwise, since you yourself admit that
> most of what IS out there is "extremely broken HTML". The idea, then,
> become that the WG will simply make the bad the good and that's that?
> Much markup on the web today /is/ poor. We /do not/ fix that by
> redefining reality to make it /good/.

I think it's important to realize that HTML5 is a bundle of several
kinds of conformance profiles -- browsers, to be conformant, must
support interoperable error handling in the face of strange input. But
this is orthogonal to the conformance requirements placed on authors.

For instance, suppose that for reasons of interoperability & not
breaking the web the <tt> element must be supported by browsers (default
rendering with a monospaced font, etc.). It would be entirely reasonable
to simultaneously require authors to not use this element, for whatever
reason -- it's purely presentational, etc.

I think much of your disagreement with Lachlan, Tina, is that sometimes
these separate and separable conformance classes are being confused in
the heat of the moment.

Edward O'Connor

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.