Re: HTML5 script start tag should select appropriate content model according to src

From: Tina Holmboe <tina@greytower.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 21:17:07 +0200 (CEST)
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
cc: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>, www-html@w3.org

On 29 Apr, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> On Apr 29, 2007, at 16:38, Tina Holmboe wrote:
>
>>   At the moment, after the recent discussions, I believe the question
>>   remaining is: do "we" want "good" markup, or simply markup as
>>   supported by one of a small group of browsers?
>>
>>   Or, perhaps better: do we want semantic markup?
>
> More to the point, even if "we" want it, is it realistic to expect
> casual authors to produce semantic markup?
>
> HTML has a remarkable large author base that extends beyond markup
> purists.

  Call me prickly if you want, but is it really necessary to use
  emotionally laden terms such as "markup purists" in a serious
  discussion?

  My answer to the above is yes. If the tools, which people do appear to
  root for, become better. I would without hesitation say that an author
  who takes the trouble of manually writing markup both should and ought
  have learnt to use the features of the language.

  If, on the other hand, "we" have decided HTML 5 isn't going to bother
  with semantic details - as does appear likely from the debate here -
  then the tools need not bother either; browsers OR editors.

  So let's have it. Are we going to bother with semantics, or are we
  going to keep tossing "anti-presentationalists" and "markup purists"
  around?

--
 -       Tina Holmboe                           Greytower Technologies
       tina@greytower.net                      http://www.greytower.net