Re: OLStyle should be enumeration?

From: Jim Jewett <jimjjewett@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 16:07:21 -0400
To: Chris <chrishe@hmgcc.gsi.gov.uk>
Cc: www-html@w3.org

See http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/generate.html#lists

>         1   arabic numbers      1, 2, 3, ...
>         a   lower alpha         a, b, c, ...
>         A   upper alpha         A, B, C, ...
>         i   lower roman         i, ii, iii, ...
>         I   upper roman         I, II, III, ...

CSS2 allows several other values.  I don't know how well the alternate
values are supported, but I believe there are at least some
(local-market) programs supporting at least some of them.

Given the fallback semantics ("A user agent that does not recognize a
numbering system should use 'decimal'."), it doesn't make sense to
pre-emptively rule out ordering based on additional alphabets and/or
numbers.

-jJ